Black Star Pastry, Newtown

chocolate caramel salted tarts
Chocolate Caramel Tart, $5

These beautiful Chocolate Caramel tarts were recently featured in the Sydney Morning Herald’s Good Living section in a story about the new trend of adding a hint of salt to sweets, an idea that I wholeheartedly support. Another great idea is going to Black Star Pastry in Newtown and eating some, or all, of Christopher The’s delicacies.

macaron

raspberry galette
Raspberry Galette, $6

I’m lucky because my lovely friend Elise works here, so when I stopped in on my way to pick up my luncheon partner she gave me some great advice – “come back quickly, sometimes we sell out fast!”.

We returned soon after, choosing to take away and eat in the park, as there is very limited seating at the actual shop. Never fear though, the lovely Camperdown Memorial park is very close :)

bread coffee

Inside, Black Star Pastry has a really homely feel. Trays of cakes and tarts cover the benches, beautiful breads line the side wall, and a big blackboard at the back shouts out those items that aren’t on display.

There is so much choice, and so many people in this tiny space, jostling for a peek at the picture perfect pastries that I am a little overwhelmed. During a welcome lull I chat with Elise; “try the lamb shank and red wine pie”, she suggests. Sold. Another tip? “Don’t double up! Get different things and share”, agreed!

savoury selection
Quiche Lorraine $5, Lamb Shank and Red Wine Pie $7  (Cannele).

We take our spoils to the park, my mouth watering the entire way, find a shady spot and dig in. Elise was right, my Lamb Shank and Red wine pie is amazing. This is miles above your average bakery pie, see, Black Star Pastry is not your average bakery. The filling is mostly meat, yielding and so flavourful, and the pastry is light, tender and buttery. Best. Pie. Ever. Like the best stew ever wrapped up in the best pastry ever.

dessert selection
Clockwise from top: Chocolate and Caramel Tart, lemon curd biscuit, cannele, macaron

Our dessert selection was wonderful, as expected – though my eyes are a little bigger than my stomach, I must admit. The lemon curd was so lemony and light, the salt in the chocolate and caramel tart really brought out the sweetness, but balanced it at the same time, delightfully. The cannele and macaron were delicious, and gone in an instant.

I’m no pastry expert, but everything I tasted was simple, made with good quality ingredients and perfectly executed. More than that, everything looked amazing and was very well priced. So, we went back again for lunch, a few weeks later.

savoury selection
Goats Cheese and Leek Quiche $5, Lamb Shank and Red Wine Pie $7.

My Goats Cheese and Leek Quiche was just the right balance of salty cheese and sweet vegetable, the pastry again was spot on. I didn’t hear much from my friend while he savoured his pie.

Custard Tart, Strawberry Crumble
Custard Tart $5, Strawberry Crumble $4.50

Our desserts, this time I was more restrained in my purchases, were as delicious as expected.
While this beautiful weather continues, there is no decision when it comes to Saturday Lunch, Black Star Pastry treats, eaten in the park. When winter arrives, I’ll be there, perched on a stool, being warmed by the lamb shank and red wine pie. Thats right, I am enamored with Black Star Pastry.

Black Star Pastry
277 Australia St,
Newtown
ph: 02 9557 8656

Black Star Pastry on Urbanspoon

1. Posted March 29, 2009 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Aaah heaven in a little white cardboard box! :-)

2. Posted March 29, 2009 at 11:17 am | Permalink

I think I want another chocolate and caramel tart. The salt really did make it quite special.

And I’ve never had such a meaty pie before. Chunks of lamb!

3. Posted March 29, 2009 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

ARGH!!! I’ve been meaning to visit Black Star. Your post has made it imperative that I now do ASAP, looks so GOOD!!

4. Posted March 29, 2009 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

These pastries look just beautiful. The goats cheese and leek tart sounds amazing. I love the way the strawberries and raspberries peek out of their pastry cases.

5. Posted March 30, 2009 at 2:35 am | Permalink

I could definitely get lost in a shop like that! Those tarts look amazing. And even the macarons (I’m not usually a fan) look fabulous. YUM!!

6. Y
    Posted March 30, 2009 at 9:05 am | Permalink

I love this little shop. Wish I could visit it more often!

7. Posted March 30, 2009 at 9:32 am | Permalink

Thanks for sharing the ‘insider’ recommendations from this fab place. The lemon curd biscuit looks incredible!

8. Posted March 30, 2009 at 10:58 am | Permalink

the macaron looks so pretty! what flavour was it?

9. Posted March 30, 2009 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Gorgeous photos, and what a fun treat to eat in the park!

10. Posted March 30, 2009 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

Mmmm lamb shank and red wine piiieeeee! I must get over there and try out the goods yum!

11. Posted March 31, 2009 at 7:22 am | Permalink

Sneh: Totally! Perfect description :)

James: Yeah, I want to try one of their other pies, see how it compares :)

aptronym: You must visit (though they are closed on Mondays). Glad to be of service :)

Arwen: The pastries taste beautiful as well, luckily :)

Ricki: Black Star is tiny, but I still managed to get lost in it, so delicious!

Y: Isn’t it great? I wish that there was more of this good quality and affordable food around, so much is just a disappointment.

Belle: No worries :) There is the urge for places like this to be kept secret, but the word was already out, and it is so lovely to see such a gem thrive.

Chocolatesuze: Oh, you know what? I totally forgot what flavour the macaron was. See, it was a little too sweet (even for me!). Pistachio and something. So pretty :)

Heidi / Savory Tv: Thanks. So nice to eat in the park, get away from all the traffic and computers just for a little while :)

FFichiban : Do it! Best pie I have ever had, did I say that already? :)

12. Posted March 31, 2009 at 8:50 am | Permalink

I’m pretty sure the macaroon was pistachio. It wasn’t too sweet. It was perfect.

13. Posted March 31, 2009 at 9:34 am | Permalink

the pastries look absolutely divine. i think i need a trip out to newtown. and a couple of people to help me eat everything i happen to accidentally-on-purpose pick up while i’m there…

thanks for the low down. i’ll be checking out that tart.

14. Posted April 2, 2009 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

THOSE MACARONS LOOK AMAZING! I have been dying for a real macaron for more than a year now! MUST HAVE NOW!

15. Posted April 3, 2009 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Drooling at my computer at the moment…. I want everything you ate! I’m writing this place down right now.

16. Posted April 4, 2009 at 10:35 am | Permalink

James: Yeah, I think it was pistachio. Maybe we should go back and check, today. What do you think? :)

shez: Do it, it will blow your mind, and potentially also your belt.

Miss_Om: It still think that the macaron was a little sweet, though I will have to give it another go I think. Hey, I think that they have delicious macarons at Zumbo in Balmain (I haven’t been, but am dying to go), and also the Lindt Cafe. Good luck stalking your delicious prey.

Anita: Good! I am getting hungry just thinking about it again too. :)

17. Posted April 4, 2009 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

I WILL go to Newtown soon, but in the meantime, I found the most delicious little caramel and fleur de sel macarons at la renaissance in The Rocks, and purely by accident too!
    http://www.larenaissance.com.au/index.html. They had rose, vanilla&thé vert, strawberry and chocolate too!

One Trackback

1. [...] savoury isn’t my thing; completely sweet isn’t (always) my thing; but I truly adore salted caramel. (No really. Give me a bouquet of PayDay bars and I’ll be happy until I die of the [...]