Asian style fried eggs

fried egg

Soft boiled eggs for breakfast with toast soldiers while convalescing or a greasy fried egg to cure a hangover.
Little orbs of nourishment, eggs are the perfect comfort food. Easy to prepare and most of us always have a few lolling around in the fridge right now.

So, why not tart up your fried eggs a little and turn them into something more than just a hangover cure. Fry the bottoms til crispy and top with some asian flavours and enjoy them in sickness and in health.

fried egg

This is my entry in the NTTC July 2009 Egg Challenge.

Asian Style Fried Eggs
Inspired by Kylie Kwong’s Mrs Jangs Fried Eggs

2T peanut or rice bran oil
eggs
sesame oil
chilli
coriander
spring onions.

Heat oil in a pan until hot and shimmering. Crack egg into a small bowl or teacup and slip into the pan. I like my yolk runny with a set white, so I break the white up to ensure that it all cooks quickly in the hot pan, sprinkle lightly with sea salt. When almost cooked throw the chopped spring onions in to lightly sear.
When cooked place egg on plate and top with onions, sprinkle with sesame oil, sliced chillis and top with coriander.
Serve with steamed rice or eat simply by themselves.

1. Posted July 20, 2009 at 12:39 am | Permalink

I love her Mrs Jang’s eggs-they feature at last once a week on the menu! Might try this variation too some day and perhaps for breakfast too (I never thought to have these for breakfast but I see how it could work!) :)

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella’s last blog post..Adriano Zumbo Masterchef Charity Cake Auction, Balmain

2. Posted July 20, 2009 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

This is one of my favourite dishes, I love the crackling sound the egg makes when it’s frying in the pan. I can practically smell these just from looking at your photos :)

Steph’s last blog post..High Teas at The Loft, King St Wharf

3. Posted July 20, 2009 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Delish. Although I never would have thought of pairing coriander with my fried eggs. I will try it. I love squirting maggi and a little tobasco on mine.

Syrie’s last blog post..Sauteed Silver Beet with Chickpeas & Fried Bread

4. Posted July 22, 2009 at 1:02 am | Permalink

Haha this reminds me of Matt Preston and Chris’ eggs in hell
    Looks so good mmm I can imagine the crunchy bottom and the gooey yolk already!

5. Posted July 23, 2009 at 8:25 am | Permalink

Your recipe reminded me of Madhur Jaffrey’s Indian style scrambled eggs, which I used to make all the time, but it’s one of those recipes I’ve “forgotten” and stopped cooking. It’s a similar recipe idea but has black mustard seeds and cayenne pepper in, along with spring onions, ginger and fresh herbs. Absolutely delicious and feels like a proper meal, rather than a half-hearted supper.

Love the quickness and the freshness of your fried eggs. Lovely.

6. Posted July 23, 2009 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

I guess im really Asian then ;) – have this style of eggs all the time bk home in Kuala Lumpur :)

7. Posted July 27, 2009 at 11:15 am | Permalink

I love this recipe (and anything with coriander in it really). Definitely comfort food in my books although I am fond of the hoi sin sauce as per the Kylie Kwong recipe.

8. Posted August 16, 2009 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella: Aren’t they divine! I can’t handle the deep-friedness of the original, but these are so tasty.

Steph: Oh thanks, aren’t they so delish!

Syrie: Fried eggs are so versatile :)

FFichiban: Oh, I miss masterchef!

kathryn: Sounds really tasty, and interesting. I would never have thought to pair eggs with Indian flavours!

Praveen R.: I’m thinking of going to KL soon, if tasty eggs are there, then I’m definitely visiting :)

Forager: I think that maybe the original recipe has been changed again and again, the one that I have has oyster sauce in it and I find that a little full on. Coriander is a definite plus!

9. Posted October 3, 2012 at 1:40 am | Permalink

Wow i was actually listening to a radio show about eggs and someone sent in a message saying this is how they like their eggs……….well guess what? This is going to be my new favourite way of having my eggs! Yumm !!

One Trackback